Monday, March 19, 2012

Time To Get Manly 8: Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.





Pavement are the purveyors of what's been irreversibly called "slacker rock" which is of course something men naturally gravitate to. What could be more manly than a music genre that gives you permission to stop caring about silly things like shaving and changing your boxer briefs? Let's play video games next! Slacker rock 4-ever! I'm more in the Slanted & Enchanted camp myself, but Crooked Rain... has a certain accessibility mixed in with Stephen Malkmus' weirdo obtuse-musings which makes it a little more immediately satisfying to some folks. Plus on this record Pavement makes fun of both Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots. I never get tired of hearing those lines.

No comments:

Blog Archive