Thursday, March 29, 2012

Time To Get Manly 56: Van Halen - Fair Warning

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



Van Halen - Fair Warning

To supplement my very rudimentary Van Halen knowledge, I consulted a Van Halen expert about this selection. He was puzzled over the choice of Fair Warning over better-known Van Halen albums like, for instance, 5150. I have a sneaking suspicion that Esquire picked this record specifically because no list of "must have" albums for men would be complete without at least one record featuring unironic cowbell. The whole "Eddie Van Halen is a guitar God" thing probably factored in somewhere too...

7 comments:

Gorilla said...

Unchained and Mean Streets might be the height of Eddie's powers. It strikes me as someone trying not to make the obvious choice again, but again... Mean Streets... its the best.

(Laura) said...

Agreed about "Mean Streets." Even as someone who doesn't really respond positively to guitar wankery, I was pulled in after the first 30 seconds. Though I'm not so sure how I feel about David Lee Roth.

Gorilla said...

There's only one way to feel about Dave in my estimation. Embarrassingly entertained.

Which is good I think. He's suppose to be entertained.

When you are done with this assignment, I'd like you to listen to "Everybody Wants Some" and transcribe the lyrics as you hear them for me. Don't listen more than once or twice, it won't help.

(Laura) said...

I accept your challenge.

GAC said...

Actually, I think that Fair Warning is the best Van Halen album, although the first one is excellent too... 5150 is pure thrash, just like any album with Sammy Hagar.

GAC said...

I meant pure trash, sorry... Don't like Hagar at all...

(Laura) said...

I don't supposed many people would describe any Van Halen album as "pure thrash." Unless I've missed some kind of long-lost Slayer cover album. ;)

Blog Archive