Friday, March 23, 2012

Time To Get Manly 33: Bill Callahan - Woke on a Whaleheart

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



Bill Callahan - Woke on a Whaleheart

Though I was caught by surprise to find this record on the list of manly must-haves, I'm not at all complaining since I love Bill Callahan. 2007's Woke on a Whaleheart is Callahan's first record under his own name, after putting out ten-plus records in the 90's and early 2000's under the name Smog. His most recent album, Apocalypse was one of my favorites of last year. I'm sure a lot of Callahan/Smog-o-philes would balk at the inclusion of this album over Smog's Red Apple Falls, but Woke on a Whaleheart does include the song, "A Man Needs A Woman Or A Man To Be A Man." I think that seals the deal.



No comments:

Blog Archive