Thursday, March 22, 2012

Time To Get Manly 30: Mississippi John Hurt - The Best Of

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



Mississippi John Hurt - The Best Of

A wise man once said, "Greatest hits albums are for housewives and little girls!" While I generally agree with this statement, The Best of Mississippi John Hurt gets a manly pass. Both because it is awesome, and also because it's really not an accurate title. This record is actually a live concert recording from the mid-60's. It's hard to believe one guy with a guitar can be this captivating.

2 comments:

Clifford Allen said...

Love that one. Those Vanguard twofers (in the LP era; most would fit on one CD today) are generally excellent and sometimes essential.

The first of Mississippi John's 12" LPs, Folk Songs and Blues, is earth-shattering which, I guess, is a very manly term!

(Laura) said...

I admit that blues is a genre I know very little about, but this record really intrigued me. I'll have to check out 'Folk Songs and Blues' soon!

Blog Archive