Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Time To Get Manly 24: Cody ChesnuTT - The Headphone Masterpiece

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



Cody ChesnuTT - The Headphone Masterpiece

24 albums in and we've hit the first manly album I'd never heard of before. I am still trying to wrap my mind around this crazy record. The Headphone Masterpiece is a sprawling mixed bag of 36 lo-fi songs. ChesnuTT mixes pieces of straight-ahead R&B, no-filter filthy rap, glammed-up rock and more into his musical world view. When it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, I feel uncomfortable and worry he might be schizophrenic. The title alone tells you Mr. ChesnuTT thinks very highly of himself and his recorded output. I both admire and am cautious about that kind of self-confidance. For instance, I am pretty sure the little cluster of flags on the album cover represents the countries he plans to personally invade and conquer. Don't say I didn't warn you, Japan.







No comments:

Blog Archive