Monday, March 19, 2012

Time To Get Manly 4: Iggy Pop - Lust For Life

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.




Iggy Pop - Lust For Life

Esquire describes Lust For Life as being "juiced with spleen." I assume this is some sort of drug reference, right? Because even if you told me that Iggy Pop was the most straight-edge of straight-edge dudes, I can't really disassociate him from such well-known cultural drug-touchstones as Trainspotting and his own music. The fact that the title song from this album was once used in a cruise-line commercial still strikes me as totally weird. Nobody involved with that commercial spoke up at any point and said, "Um, have you guys like, listened to the lyrics to this song?" Good job, advertising! This album totally belongs on the "albums every man should own" list. It's edgy, catchy rock by a man who's shirtless torso is both manly and leathery. That's like, double-manliness. 

No comments:

Blog Archive