Thursday, March 22, 2012

Time To Get Manly 27: Taj Mahal - Giant Step/De Ole Folks At Home

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.




As far as Taj Mahals go, I'm much more familiar with the mausoleum in India than with the blues musician. So I looked forward to hearing the manly sounds of Giant Step/De Ole Folks At Home. The first half of the record is electric, while the second half is very sparse and acoustic. I liked the second half a whole lot more. I tried to assuage my feelings that this was kind of a random pick by looking the album up on Wikipedia - for all I knew it was considered a classic or maybe Taj Mahal's best work. Oddly, one of the only things the entry for Giant Step says is, "Esquire Magazine included this album on their March 9, 2009 list of 'The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own.'" Hmmm...

No comments:

Blog Archive