Friday, March 23, 2012

Time To Get Manly 35: The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

Although I'm not a huge Velvet Underground fan, I'm always totally on board when this record first starts. As it kicks off with the beautiful laziness of "Sunday Morning," then gives way to the foot stomping drive of "Waiting For the Man," I always think, "You know what? I never gave this record a fair shake." But then "Femme Fatale" starts and I remember why I gave up on The Velvet Underground & Nico. Because of Nico. By the time she sings, "She'll build you up to just put you down, what a clon" I want to kill myself. I suppose every man should have this in their collection so they have concrete proof that adding a lady to the mix can sometimes ruin your band's sound. Also because it has a penis on the cover.

No comments:

Blog Archive