Thursday, March 22, 2012

Time To Get Manly 29: Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.





I remember when the Unplugged series was a big deal back in the early 90's. In fact, I'm still pretty convinced that seeing LL Cool J's sweaty, deodorant-chunk-filled armpits during his Unplugged performance is what sealed the deal on my gayness. But I digress. Nirvana's performance is pretty much the only one from the Unplugged heyday that ended up having real staying power. Of course, a lot of that has to do with it being incredibly great. Instead of sticking to the standard "greatest hits acoustic style" formula of most of these performances, Cobain used it as a chance to play songs by bands he loved and made them songs that we now love too. It makes me miss the days when MTV still had music-related programming.

No comments:

Blog Archive