Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Record Review: Morrissey

If there's one unwavering thing that can be said about my musical tastes, it's that I'm totally gay for Morrissey. So gay in fact, that he's the only man I'd ever sleep with - which would work out perfectly, seeing as we'd just cuddle and talk about music. Needless to say, every Morrissey release is a big occasion for me - and the release of Years of Refusal was no different. I'm happy Metro Times let me review it, as the nominal fee for this service will cover a small portion of the costs for the three different formats of the album I purchased, plus the tickets to both his Ann Arbor show on Tuesday the 31st and his Chicago appearance the following Saturday. His last album, Ringleader of the Tormentors, came out in 2006, and the two new songs on last year's (do I still have any right to call this release fairly gratuitous since I bought the deluxe edition?) Greatest Hits album can only tide a girl over for so long. Now, I can think of SO many exceptionally nerdy, detailed things to say about Morrissey, this new record, his career, etc. But I am stopping myself, because I fear I'll sound like a Star Trek geek - you know: the kind who, when you mention you've seen the show before, launch into their deepest thoughts, feelings, philosophies, and episode dissections before you can say "The Trouble With Tribbles." I don't want to be that guy. But if you're ever up for a Morrissey minutiae conversation, come talk to me. But don't fucking talk to me about Star Trek. Seriously.

No comments:

Blog Archive