Thursday, April 5, 2012

Time To Get Manly 74: Mahler - Symphony No. 5

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



Mahler - Symphony No. 5

Though I'm no stranger to classical music, I decided to consult an expert for this release, as I happen to be related to a total Mahler nerd. This nerd (aka my sister Christine) was pleased that Esquire selected this particular recording. "This is one of the four Mahler 5 recordings I own!" 5 recordings of the same piece? This proves that classical nerds are basically the same as Deadheads but without the dreads and Birkinstocks. She did concur that Mahler's Symphony No. 5 was manly. "It's a loud, brooding piece with lots of brass - definitely manly." She also said that Mahler proposed to his wife by sending her the manuscript to the 4rd movement. Pretty much puts any and every other proposal idea from then on to shame. No wonder guys ask women out via text these days. WHY BOTHER TRYING? Thanks a lot, MAHLER!



No comments:

Blog Archive