Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Time To Get Manly 72: Neil Young - Harvest

I randomly ran across a list of what Esquire magazine claims are "The 75 Albums Every Man Should Own." In this series of posts, I'll explore these manly, manly sounds.



Neil Young - Harvest

Harvest is Neil Young's most popular album and it is home to some of his most well known songs ("Heart of Gold" and "Old Man"). That said, there's basically no way you can convince me that Esquire didn't pick this because of the song "A Man Needs A Maid." Which would be unfortunate both because of sexism, and because the song is kind of embarrassingly terrible. For all Harvest's charms, I would have picked Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. He's looking totally manly on the cover and on sprawling tracks like "Down By the River" ("Down by the river/ I shot my baby") and "Cowgirl in the Sand" ("When so many love you, is it the same?") he gets to show off his guitar prowess and his homicidal mistrust of whores. Win-win for manliness!

No comments:

Blog Archive