Monday, January 4, 2010

Twenty-ten/Two-thousand-ten

Carrie Brownstein's Monitor Mix post today is all about her music resolutions. I've made a few - mainly to play my drums and my oboe more often. So those of you who are just dying for some oboe on your next record - I'll let you know when I've mastered Oboe For Beginners: Book One. Which is the same book I started on in 6th grade.

I also vow to go to more live shows this year. Particularly this spring and summer after the smoking ban goes into effect. I can't remember the last time I was excited for something of a political nature that actually happened. With my luck some Republican will add a line item that says that gays are banned from all smoke-free places. Then that same Republican will be arrested for soliciting a gay prostitute, but he'll get reelected anyway. On a "family values" platform. And I'll still be banned from smoke free places. I hate politics.

I also just got a download for the new Vampire Weekend. My instinct is to just delete it and to spend all of 2010 ignoring them just like I always have. Should I make a resolution to give them a chance? It's in your hands now to decide.

4 comments:

Jasper said...

down with vampire weekend.

Anonymous said...

Vampire Weekend is great if you're in a dancy silly mood, like in the summer. I haven't listened to them all winter, but I did listen quite a bit in summer and fall.

Kurt said...

The video for "Oxford Comma" is pretty cool. Therein lies the only redeeming factor for Vampire Weekend, and that's pre-supposing that you are a fan of Wes Anderson flicks.

Also, while I'll admit that I have not listened to a single album from your "only me" category, I do concur that Animal Collective and Bitte Orca make my ears bleed (at this point anyways). I only wish you put "The xx" on the list too. Yuck.

(Laura) said...

I actually haven't heard The xx - though nothing I read about them made me think I should really bother. Seeing as I AM a Wes Anderson fan (to an extent) maybe I should check out this video you speak of...

Blog Archive