Thursday, May 28, 2009

Record Review: Old Empire

This week's issue of the Metro Times has my review of Old Empire's Queen City Quandaries. I really like this record, and I’m particularly intrigued at the whole idea that it was inspired in part by characters from WKRP in Cincinnati. If I were forced into like, a Brewster's Millions situation, the first thing I'd do is commission different artists I like to make music based on the complex relationships of the characters from my favorite 80’s TV shows.

Here are a few I thought were fairly obvious perfect matches:

Small Wonder - Deastro

Little House on the Prairie - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

ALF - Björk

A few that might seem less obvious but I have a hunch would be fantastic:

The Dukes of Hazzard - Okkervil River

Three’s Company - Pop Project

Cagney & Lacey - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Miami Vice - Telefon Tel Aviv

Seriously... This could produce some great stuff.

2 comments:

Gabe said...

Clearly, I'm already in love with this idea. Now, I'm totally flattered that you like it too. My favorite is Bonnie Prince Billy doing "Little House on the Prairie". How about Cop Shoot Cop doing "Hill Street Blues"?

I've been kicking around some ideas for another ensemble-cast album, but it probably won't be the next one. I've already got about an EP's worth of tunes finished for the next project. Still, I'm open to suggestions.

(Laura) said...

I love the idea of Jonathan Richman doing Cheers! Also, for a darker interpretation of the Cheers universe, Tom Waits.

Blog Archive