Thursday, February 2, 2012

Records I Want to Gay Marry: Sharon Van Etten's 'Tramp'



It's February! Aside from being a fun month to pontificate on the stupidity of white people, it's also a month that is bringing to me (and by extension the world) a cornucopia of new records by bands/artists that I already know I love: Shearwater, Damien Jurado, Lambchop, Perfume Genius and Xiu Xiu. But its a record by an artist that's relatively new to me that I can't get out of my head: Sharon Van Etten's Tramp. I first heard about her via The Music Slut. They put together a "TMS Loves Moz" comp a couple of years ago which featured different artists covering Morrissey songs. Sharon Van Etten's take on "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" gave me goosebumps. Like, not in a figure-of-speech way, but real life goosebumps. Listen to it and see what I mean.


So. Tramp. Holy shit. I can promise you this will be one of the best records you've listened to in a long, long time (unless you have a heart made of stone and/or have made the unfortunate choice of limiting your music interests to dubstep). Prepare yourself, because you're going to be reading about her constantly this year. Like, constantly. Mark my words! But at least Tramp will live up to the praise unlike, say, virtually everything critics peed their pants about last year (Shut up, Bon Iver! Shut up, Destroyer!). The record comes out next week and I highly suggest actually going to the record store and buying it with real money. You can also listen to the whole thing right now (thanks, NPR!)  and hear for yourself the greatness. That's what I'm doing right now. And will be doing for the next several thousand hours. Tell my therapist I'm not going to make it in today.

No comments:

Blog Archive