Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wonder Twins: The Moth Detroit StorySLAM, Review: Amy Millan

It's been a few weeks now, but today's Metro Times features the latest Wonder Twins installment. We went to Cliff Bell's for the first ever Moth Detroit StorySLAM. It was really fun, yet packed to the gills. There will be a StorySLAM on the first Thursday of every month, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Anybody have a sleeping bag I can borrow? I'm going to camp out in front of Cliff Bell's next time around so I can get an actual seat with a table and wait staff.

Also in this week's MT is my review of the new Amy Millan record Masters of the Burial. If you only like records that Pitchfork likes, then you have probably not given this a chance after their 5.8 rating and are too busy trying to convince yourself to like Volcano Choir. But I assure you, they're just being bullies. Masters of the Burial is an understated and great record. She's playing tomorrow night at the Pike Room with Bahamas. I am assuming that means the entire country, so expect a lot of calypso. I guess maybe it's this band, but my money's on the whole country.

1 comment:

D'Anne Witkowski said...

Really nice Amy Milan review. Word.

Blog Archive