Monday, October 26, 2009

How bizarre, how bizarre

I like Halloween. But more so, I just like fall. And seeing as Halloween plays a big part in the season, I include it in my general appreciation of this time of year. Of course, I also like candy so that plays a part as well. Also pumpkin anything – ale, pie, cookies, seeds, muffins, bread, soup… pretty much anything but the Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks, That, I found out the hard way, tastes like vomit.


I’m not one of those Halloween fanatics that basically just live for the end of October and spend the rest of the year scheming to come up with (and considering the astronomical amount of money some spend, finance) the perfect costume. In fact, I’m not that nuts about getting dressed up. Another thing I’m not nuts about is being outside when it’s cold. Combine being in a costume AND being outside when it’s cold and you’ve pretty much lost me. Asking me to spend $55 for the privilege of being in a costume and being outside when it’s cold? Please. But that’s exactly what I did on Saturday at Theatre Bizarre.


Right up until I get out of the car I kept thinking, ‘This is going to be cold. Which means I will hate it. Which means I just wasted dollars.” But holy shit. I didn’t think anything like this existed anyplace outside of say, a movie. Theatre Bizarre may very well be the most amazing event I’ve ever been to. And I’ve seen New Kids On the Block. Several times. The people who put this event together have the kind of talent, creative energy and devotion that Detroit needs a lot more of. I’ll be going back next year for sure.


I don’t have any pictures or video of the event, but judging from the number of people who spent the entire evening with their iPhone in the air, a quick search of the Google will show you many different images and video clips. I’m one of those weird people who doesn’t feel the need to capture every second of any event or show I attend on camera. I kind of prefer to just “remember” stuff and make “memories” like they did in the olden days. Plus I know I can count on the above mentioned people to lessen the quality of the real time experience for themselves in an effort to get it all on their iPhone so they can put it on Facebook.


Also, I have a new band to obsess over thanks to catching them play at Theatre Bizarre: Catfish Mafia. For most of my adult like, the term ‘bluegrass” has caused me to run in the other direction, but my girlfriend likes too much music associated with the genre for me to ignore that it’s not all horrible shit kicker music. I’ll be checking these guys out again in the near future and hope they’re as good out of costume.


Also, if you want to know what I was for Halloween, then you should come to the Crofoot for the Creepy Cheapy Halloween Treat II event on actual Halloween. But here's a hint: "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight..." Last year's Creepy Cheapy Halloween Treat performance by Prussia as The Smiths was one of my favorite things I've seen live in Detroit, like ever. This year they'll be the Velvet Underground. Plus Child Bite as Rage Against the Machine, Silverghost as Devo, Marco Polio and the New Vaccines as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Allan James and the Cold Wave as Weezer. I'll be drinking milk and Pepsi.

No comments:

Blog Archive