Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Before my tears fall, I just walk away

I was going to write something about today’s passing of Ellie Greenwich, but Dave Lawson has already done a superb job of celebrating her life and achievements over at the Suburban Sprawl Blog. His post is a great remembrance and serves as a perfect introduction to the woman who wrote some of the best pop songs ever. “Best pop songs ever” sounds all hyperbolic, but in this case it’s actually true. I’ve always had a weakness for Brill Building songwriting and girl group pop, and Ms. Greenwich wrote some of my favorite songs of all time including “He’s Got the Power” (The Exciters), “Leader of the Pack” (The Shangri-las) and “Maybe I Know” (Lesley Gore). She died today of a heart attack at the age of 68.

No comments:

Blog Archive