Tuesday, June 5, 2012

“None. I don’t want any of those pieces of shit CDs.”


I just finished reading Mish Way's awesome Noisey piece "Why I Hate CDs and How They've Made Me Mental" and highly recommend it. I am quite fond of anecdotal evidence that CDs are stupid and the worst. Of course, I didn't alway hold this opinion. The wall of carefully alphabetized CDs at my house makes this glaringly obvious. But at this point in time, if I like an artist enough that I want to give them money, I want the record. If your band doesn't have a vinyl version of the recording, I'll settle for a download and a shirt or tampon case or some other such exciting merch option. But there are only two ways I'll spend money on a CD today: if I come across a fun/rare disc in the bargain bin of a record store, or I find a Paula Abdul CD (preferably Spellbound) at a garage sale which I will purchase for the sole purpose of someday leaving it under the windshield wiper of a poorly parked car with a note that says, "I'm sorry it has to end this way, but I can't live with myself anymore. I know you'll never leave your family for me. At least we'll always have 'Rush Rush.' Think of me."

It even bothers me when  I see strangers buying CDs. I went to see Langhorne Slim with my girlfriend on Memorial Day and watched a young lesbo walk up to the merch table and hand over money for his new CD. It literally took everything I had not to smack it out of her hand while yelling, "Nooooo! What are you doing?!" Because not only was there a (beautiful white!) vinyl version for sale as well, but it came with the CD in it. But it's not my job to teach the young lesbians of the world how to live their lives - otherwise we'd see a lot less awful hats and faux hawks. 

Also, as an added bonus, Way's article led me to her band White Lung. Their new album Sorry is pretty effing rad. Listen to it. And then go buy it. On limited color vinyl (duh).

No comments:

Blog Archive