Do you remember 120 Minutes on MTV? Specifically the very early 90's when dreamy Brit Dave Kendall was the host? It was on really late on Sunday nights, and I would either stay up and watch or set the good ol' VCR to record it. It really shaped my musical tastes in a way that is still evident to this day. That's why I'm dubbing this weekend 120 Minutes Weekend!
Friday night at the Magic Stick, former Afghan Whigs frontman Greg Dulli is playing a solo show. The videos for "Turn On The Water" and "Conjure Me" - both tracks from Congregation (still my favorite Afghan Whigs record, sorry Gentlemen fans) were 120 Minute staples. Whether he plays AW songs or not, I don't care - I'm just excited to finally get a chance to see him live.
Saturday night Helmet is playing at Small's. Their video for "In The Meantime" was one of my favorites in heavy rotation on 120 Minutes. Because of that video, I bought their record Meantime and played it incessantly. Though I am aware that they have records other than Meantime, that's the only one I really know well. I expect my ears and my nostalgia to be pummeled plenty.
Now if only we could get Kitchens Of Distinction and the Boo Radleys to reform and play Detroit in a single weekend... Fingers crossed.
- ► 2013 (21)
- ► 2012 (152)
- ► 2011 (61)
- Happy Halloween, creeps.
- Take two, same loot; make something so new
- October spawned a monster
- "We need a black pope and she better be a woman"
- 120 Minutes Weekend
- Wonder Twins: Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo Scho...
- It's not WKRP, but it's still pretty rad
- You are hot, hot, hot, hot, hot
- So tonight at the Magic Stick, this is happening....
- Zola Jesus for President. No wait - Zola Jesus for...
- ▼ October (10)
- ► 2009 (107)