Thursday, December 10, 2009

Go see Choo Choo la Rouge at PJ's Lager House tomorrow night

For those of you who aren't going to the Magic Stick tomorrow night for the Pure 11 extravaganza, may I suggest Boston's Choo Choo la Rouge at PJ's Lager House? Ok? Good. That is my suggestion then! I didn't even know they were coming until yesterday when I was flipping through the Metro Times (yes, the physical, made-out-of-paper version) and saw the ad listing upcoming shows at the Lager House. They're on Kiam Records which is the label of one Jennifer O'Connor - who happens to be one of my very favorites, and Choo Choo la Rouge happen to be one of her very favorites. Synergy! She even guests on the album on a couple of songs. Speaking of their album, I wrote about it awhile back when Black Clouds was released. Here is a word for word repeat of my review. Repeated here for you. Word for word:

Choo Choo la Rouge - Black Clouds
Since my parents weren’t fans, my childhood introduction to Bob Dylan was through “We Are the World.” At the time, I thought this was pretty much the most amazing song ever recorded. I loved picking out my favorite singer’s voices – Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner... But the song ended with this weird, unfamiliar voice that didn’t make sense to me as a child. I always wondered, “Who is this guy and why are they letting him sing with musical greats like Kenny Loggins and Huey Lewis?!” To be fair, I was 8 at the time. But this suspicion has stayed with me, and to this day, if you compare something to Dylan, I’m skeptical. But I think I may be cured thanks to Choo Choo la Rouge. Black Clouds has Dylan’s influence all over it, and yet I am not repelled! In fact, it’s sweet and catchy and unselfconscious and a nice change of pace from the deluge of recent bands who either think they’re Animal Collective or Yaz or some combination of the two.
Here's their video for "Here Come the Guns" which, really, should totally score then a sponsorship from 3M™

No comments:

Blog Archive