Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lone Star State

To tide you over for a bit more in this Pillow Fights slow period, I present you with a piece written by my friend Nick. He and his wife live in Austin - a city where everything is cooler despite the fact that it is surrounded by (and inexplicably an official part of) Texas. Anyway, his Unfit Times piece is about Ida Maria and the music industry and is really good. Even though I still forget that Ida Maria and Rainer Maria are not the same.

Also, for those of you who have been wondering where to turn now that Jarvis Cocker is perfectly happy churning out crap tunes, I have the answer. Chicago's Scotland Yard Gospel Choir. Think pre His N' Hers Pulp with more care free jangle. They were supposed to play Detroit a couple of months ago, but their entire tour got scrapped because of a tour van accident. I figured they abandoned the tour due expensive van damage, but further investigation revealed that every single member of the band was hurt in the accident - some are still recovering/doing physical therapy, etc. So sad! Their record ... and the Horse You Rode In On just came out in September. Consider it your contribution to health care reform and buy a copy. Also, Nick's wife Meghan is responsible for bringing SYGC to my attention, so this entire post is brought to you by the coolest couple in Austin, TX.

2 comments:

D'Anne Witkowski said...

At first I thought you were going to say that Megham was responsible for the bus accident. I am glad to hear that's not the case.

(Laura) said...

I think the crash happened in Ohio. So Meghan's in the clear.

Blog Archive