Saturday, June 19, 2010

Aaaaand ACTION! Songs Related To Movie Films

So now that my girlfriend goes to Plymouth every night for her drive-in movie job, she's got a decent commute - one that I am committed to making more tolerable through a series of mix CDs. But I like a challenge, and asked her to assign me various topics or themes for these mixes. The first one was songs related to the movies. I thought it would be fun to open this up to the many folks I know who are music minded, so I asked for suggestions on my Facespace page. Though only a few of those songs made the end mix, I was really happy to see so many great suggestions and this exercise reaffirmed that I have surrounded myself with people of exquisite taste. I have a list of the left over songs and almost have enough for a second mix - so if you think of any more great movie-related songs, please leave them in the comments. Here's the mix:

Aaaaand ACTION! Songs Related To Movie Films

1. Soda Dog Refreshment Squad - Groovy Time For A Movie Time
2. Thrush Hermit - From the Back of the Film (suggested by John)

3. The Long Blondes - Lust In The Movies

4. HorrorPops - Hitchcock Starlet (suggested by Andrea)

5. Morrissey - Drive-In Saturday (live)

6. St. Vincent - Actor Out Of Work

7. Of Montreal - The Actor's Opprobrium

8. Dubstar - I'm In Love With A German Film Star

9. Belle & Sebastian - Like Dylan in the Movies (BBC Session)

10. Rags & Feathers - Silent Movie Starlets (suggested by D'Anne)

11. Thomas Denver Jonsson - Dreams At The Film Club (suggested by D'Anne)

12. Curtis Eller - Buster Keaton (suggested by Scotter)

13. Lambchop - Steve McQueen

14. The Divine Comedy - When The Lights Go Out All Over Europe (suggested by Ras/Michael)

15. Richard Davies - Why Not Bomb The Movies?

16. Earlimart - The Movies

17. Okkervil River - Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe

18. April Smith and the Great Picture Show - Movie Loves A Screen

19. The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie (suggested by Seth)

20. Yo La Tengo - Deeper Into Movies

21. Black Francis - Cinema Star


I would make this one of those fancy mp3 lists that you can go ahead and download and stuff, but I don't want Blogger to shut me down. Because they love to do that apparently. Plus I don't know how! BUT - if you for real want a copy of this mix, I would be happy to make you one. We could trade! It will be like 1998 all over again.


Next challenge? Songs about comics/superheros! Know any good ones? Please leave them in the comments!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Kung Fu" by Ash just for the mixed martial arts section of the mix.

labambasaurus said...

sun ra - I Am Gonna Unmask the Batman

xtc -that's really super, supergirl (+ others)

guided by voices - Matter-Eater Lad

the kinks - plastic man

t rex - mambo sun

prince - batdance

Blog Archive