Monday, August 25, 2008

Record Reviews: Death Vessel and Juliana Hatfield

Detour has two new reviews of mine - one for one of my favorite albums I've heard this year, and one for one of my not-so-favorite albums. I remember getting into a little exchange with my friend Meghan back in high school in which I proclaimed that I didn't like Juliana Hatfield. Although the whole conversation is foggy, I do remember a certain amount of incredulousness hurled my way in response. So when I heard Ms. Hatfield had a new record out, I thought I'd give her another chance - be all open-minded and maybe see what I'd been missing. I tried, but How To Walk Away offers me no chance at redemption. Death Vessel, on the other hand, was a super pleasant surprise, seeing as I didn't know what to expect when I popped it in. Yes, his voice is somewhat lady-like, but it just kind of adds to his charm. He's coming to Detroit on Friday, so if you have not already been wooed to The Crofoot complex with the promise of free-ness, let me know and maybe you can be my Death Vessel date.

No comments:

Blog Archive